Victims of Sexual Assault
Alarming number of victims in the U.S.:
- 1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 6 boys is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet.
- Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
- An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today. Source: http://www.darkness2light.org/KnowAbout/statistics_2.asp
Treating victims of sexual assault is a highly specialized area of counseling which I have been providing for over 15 years. I believe counseling victims of sexual assault needs to provide them these skill sets:
- To fully accept and believe that the abuse was not their fault.
- Screen for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, treat the victim for PTSD if they have it. Identify which symptoms they have: Nightmares, Flashbacks, Inability to Fall Asleep or Stay Asleep, Intrusive Thoughts, etc. and give them skills to cope with these symptoms in their daily lives.
- To teach them how perpetrators groom victims so they can spot groomers in the future and stop the traumagenics in their legacy.
- Increase their confidence and self-esteem.
- Help them feel safe again.